Saturday, March 17, 2007

A Clown Hierarchy: Not a Laughing Matter

"But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." I don't really think these commercials are funny but its not an awful ad campaign. Slightly clever, doesn't make me want to stab myself in the eye. In general, sort of seems like something Chandler Bing would have come up with when he worked in advertising for like what - three episodes?
Wikipedia describes this ad campaign as "humorous television commercials consisting of someone doing something they were not capable of doing, but then stating that they were actually capable due to the fact that they 'stayed at a Holiday Inn (Express) last night.'" Seems like an accurate description to me. The guy playing Jeopardy or performing some medical procedure can do it because he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. It somehow made him smarter then he was before. Its sort of bothersome because the campaign relies on stereotypes of what is a "smart occupation" and what is a "stupid occupation." But I think most people agree that even if people on Jeopardy or doctors aren't smarter then other people they at least possess a special skill.
So yesterday I saw a Holiday Inn Express commercial with a Holiday Inn Express stayer filling in as a rodeo clown. The first thing I think is "does rodeo clown really require that much special knowledge or skill?" I mean, I guess keeping someone from getting gored is a skill but it kind of just seems like a survival instinct to me; however, I am willing to buy this is a skill.
BUT. . .
The rodeo clown tells the rodeoee (I don't know anything about the rodeo nor will I google it to find out if there is a proper term for the idiot on the bull) that he is actually with the birthday party, but don't worry "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night." Did Holiday Inn just create a clown hierarchy? What is below birthday party clown? Street clown? Are mimes include in the hierarchy?
With this commercial Holiday Inn Express has fractured an already subjugated community. Rodeo clowns no longer associate with simple birthday party clowns and circus clowns feel they are the superiors of the rodeo clowns. Mimes are desperately trying to climb the clown hierarchy but keep finding themselves trapped in a box of prejudice. Just because they have a smile painted on doesn't mean a clown is always smiling on the inside. Maybe next time Holiday Inn thinks about using clowns in its ad campaign, it will be sensitive to the needs of the clown community and attempt to foster harmony instead of driving a stake through their already strained relationships.

2 comments:

EJ said...

It's not unlike the East Coast / West Coast Hip-Hop wars. How many clowns must die in a hail of bullets and pies before the community can heal?

Anonymous said...

There's totally a clown heirarchy... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_clown And rodeo clowns are usually the most skilled guys out there.